Monday, 23 February 2009

Writing from the male point of view

When I first started writing, my novels were written from the female character's point of view, but I would often find myself thinking the male was a rather more attractive character. I also began with writing historical sagas. Not sure why when I was an avid crime fiction reader, it was just something I did. Now I look back on those three unpublished historical sagas as a kind of apprenticeship. It wasn't until I started writing crime novels and Tide of Death, with the introduction of Inspector Andy Horton that I found my 'voice' as they call it in writing parlance. Not only that but I was also writing what I truly wanted to write and what suited me.

Immediately, writing from the male point of view, everything fell into place. I also discovered that I preferred single point of view which means you follow the story through the eyes of Andy Horton in my marine mystery crime novels and through Adam Greene in my thriller, In Cold Daylight and Alex Albury in In For The Kill. That doesn't mean to say I will always follow this pattern, but at the moment it's how I enjoy writing.

When people ask me why I write from the male character's point of view I often joke that maybe it's because I am a closet man. But I don't really know. Perhaps it's because I have worked in male dominated environments for most of my life, or it has something to do with my personality or upbringing. Or it could be none of these things, and what does it matter anyway? It's just the way I write. Finding what suits you in terms of the genre, style of novel, and viewpoint is often a matter of trial and error until something clicks. What matters is getting inside your character's minds and truly understanding their motivations and emotions no matter whether they are male, female, adult or child.

No comments: