Wednesday, 28 November 2012

What’s in a name? Choosing names for your characters

Crime writer Pauline Rowson discusses choosing names for characters.

Getting the right name for characters in a novel can be a tricky business. Sometimes they come to me completely out of the blue, as I am creating a character, other times I will struggle to find the name that best suits that particular character and until I do the personality refuses to come fully alive.

I have always had this thing about people looking like their names.  When I’m introduced to someone I will think yes, you are a Jacqueline or a Malcolm. Other times I will think, oh no, you’re definitely a Karen or a Wayne. And so it is with the characters I am creating. The name has to fit. If it’s not right then the character isn’t right. The name also needs to fit with the age and nationality although you can have exceptions.

Readers often ask me where I get my characters names from.  When seeking inspiration for first names I turn to my little book of baby’s names or I will look up web sites of baby’s names.  I also keep an ear out for any unusual or interesting names when meeting people and will jot these down.

Read  the full article here: What’s in a name? A great deal claims crime author Pauline Rowson

No comments: